I can hardly believe that I am in my 30th week and have less than 10 weeks to go before we meet our little man! While some days, weeks, months have seemed to drag on as though they would never end... others have flown by. The whole process continues to amaze me each and every day.
Hyperemesis Update
Just the facts...
Not your average Morning Sickness
*Morning sickness occurs in some form in 70-80% of all pregnancies
*Hyperemesis occurs in approximately 1% of all pregnancies... YES, I am THAT Lucky.
*In those that have Hyperemesis, 20% have it throughout their entire pregnancy. So thankful that mine cleared up (for the most part) around 20 weeks.
*On average, I threw up 3-5 times each day, was nauseous throughout the entire day, and lost 15 lbs. during my first trimester.
*I currently throw up around once or twice a week, I am only nauseous in the evenings, and I have gained 12 of the 15 lbs. back.
*I was not able to work for a little over 3 months.
*I am currently back at work part time, and feel fine most days while I am there.
*Hyperemesis left me with depression throughout my first trimester. I had never been clinically depressed before in my life, and it was really hard for me to work through. I had very little contact with extended family, friends, or the outside world for that matter.
*I was basically on modified bed rest throughout the first trimester. I slept and spent most of my day on the sofa, only getting up to try to eat, throw up, or use the restroom. I was so severely fatigued that I only showered once every few days, and had to sit on the floor of the bathtub in order to do this. For the first few months of my pregnancy I only left my house a handful of times, and only for a short amount of time when I did.
*I was put on two different prescription medications to try to prevent the throwing up and severe dehydration I was experiencing. Neither prescription was successful.
*I was admitted to the hospital once for IV hydration. I was there for over 6 hours. The nursing staff said that I had waited too long to be admitted. I was severely dehydrated.
*Chances are above 60% that I will have HG in subsequent pregnancies, and it will typically follow the same pattern.
*50% of women experience adverse effects on their relationship with their spouse or partner.
*My husband was 100% supportive, helpful, and giving during this difficult time. He cared for me, did research, bought books, watched videos, took care of the house, prepared meals and continued to work 50+ hour work weeks. I couldn't be more blessed with a better partner for life.
For more information on Hyperemesis Gravidarum you can visit the HER (Hyperemesis Education & Research) foundation at:
www.helpher.org
No comments:
Post a Comment